Other Resources for Youth
Books and Pamphlets
Some Assembly Required: The Not-So-Secret Life of a Transgender Teen
Biography by Arin Andrews with Joshua Lyon
This informative and easy to read biography tells the story of a young transman, Arin Andrews.
Rethinking Normal: A Memoir in Transition
Biography by Katie Rain Hill with Ariel Schrag
This insightful biography tells the story of a young transwoman, Katie Hill.
Note: the above books work well together because the subjects know each other.
Videos and Movies
- Nicole Maines tells her of growing up trans and learning to accept herself.
- Videos of and about trans youth
- Personal stories
- This film tells the story of Bamby Salcedo’s courage and perseverance as she grappled with the challenges of drug addiction, abuse, incarceration, poverty and being a transgender Latina.
- Contact for information: Melissa.email@example.com
- This documentary tells the story of Jonathon, who was homeless, queer failing in school. Through his own resilience and a GLBT host program he was able to find support and love from his chosen family and his friends.
- A 3-minute spoken word piece by Michael, who works in a shelter for homeless youth.
- Advice and support for youth, as well as others impacted/concerned with youth homelessness
- Free 24-hour, 7 days/week hotline
- Crisis intervention
- Information referrals
- Message relay from youth to parents/guardians
- 3-way calling - youth + parent + NRS counselor
- Free Greyhound bus tickets home
- No specific mention of LGBTQ youth
McKinney-Vento Homeless Assistance Act
- Includes unaccompanied homeless youth
- Right to enroll in school immediately
- Work with designated school liaison
- School is required to remove barriers
- Missing credits